1) Does it honor God? Is He a priority?
Proverbs 3:5-6 –Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
6 in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight
2) Are we trying to be a people pleaser? Is there a lack of confidence to say no? Do you have appropriate boundaries? Galatians 1:10; 6:2, 5; Proverbs 4:23; James 5:12
3) Have we tried to take on too much?
Exodus 16–Israelites with manna—don’t take too much or it all will spoil.
4) What are you sowing and investing in?
Galatians 6:7-9 — Don’t be misled: No one makes a fool of God. What a person plants, he will harvest. The person who plants selfishness, ignoring the needs of others—ignoring God!—harvests a crop of weeds. All he’ll have to show for his life is weeds! But the one who plants in response to God, letting God’s Spirit do the growth work in him, harvests a crop of real life, eternal life.
9-10 So let’s not allow ourselves to get fatigued doing good. At the right time we will harvest a good crop if we don’t give up, or quit. Right now, therefore, every time we get the chance, let us work for the benefit of all, starting with the people closest to us in the community of faith.
2 Cor. 9:7 — Remember: A stingy planter gets a stingy crop; a lavish planter gets a lavish crop. I want each of you to take plenty of time to think it over, and make up your own mind what you will give. That will protect you against sob stories and arm-twisting. God loves it when the giver delights in the giving.
5) Are you focused on producing fruit?
- What does Paul mean: “To live is Christ?”
- V22 “If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell.”
- V24—“To remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account.”
- So evidently the fruit that Paul’s life produces is not only for himself but is very needful for the sake of the Philippians believers.
- So the phrase, “For me to live is Christ” now becomes “For me to live is to produce fruit that you all need very much.”
- What is the fruit? “I know that I will remain and continue with you all, for your PROGRESS and JOY in the FAITH.”
6) Are there unconfessed sins that are holding you up?
1 Peter 3:7 — Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.
Weaker as in MORE precious and valuable.
1 John 1:9 — If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
7) Are you far enough away from sin?
Proverbs 22:3; see Joseph—he literally ran away from temptation.
8) Are you having fun?
John 10:10 — The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
9) Is there organization to your life?
- Goal is to make for yourself MORE time to do what God has called you to do.
10) Is there time for refreshing and renewal for yourself?
Matthew 14:23—Example of Jesus getting away to get his batteries recharged. “Be still and know that I am God.”